Tomato season is upon us! One of the things I appreciate about tomatoes is their simplicity. Sprinkle with salt and eat.
Take it a step further by adding a few cucumbers, fresh basil, olive oil and balsamic vinegar and it’s a glorious salad.
The Basic Tomato Basil Summer Salad recipe below is a guideline. Add and subtract with what you have on hand; I gave you a few ideas under the Add-ins below.
You’ll have some tomato drippings left after the salad is gone; save these and make a simple Tomato Drippings Salad Dressing from them. Waste not want not!
Basic Tomato Basil Summer Salad
- Tomatoes ~ a handful
- Red onion, very thinly sliced ~ about 1/4 cup
- Cucumbers ~ a couple of small Persian or one English
- Fresh basil ~ a full sprig
- Olive oil ~ a good glug
- lemon ~ a squeeze
- Fine and flaky salt ~ a pinch of each
- Balsamic vinegar ~ a good drizzle
- Add-ins: Olives, peaches, mozzarella balls, chickpeas, microgreens, cracked
- black pepper
Dice the tomatoes & cucumbers, thinly slice the onions and tear fresh basil into a large bowl. Add additions as well.
Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Allow to sit for 10 minutes for the
flavors to meld. Top with a good sprinkling of flaky sea salt and balsamic glaze.