One random day, so many emotions.
If you are single, perhaps you can take solace in that fact that you really aren’t alone. According to a 2016 study, there are 110.6 million unmarried people, over 18 years of age, in America*.
While you may or may not have a choice that you are single, you do get to decide how you want to feel and how you want to spend your time. Positive thoughts breed positive results. Your thoughts are much more powerful than we tend to give them credit for, they actually affect your life and those around you!
So you can mope around or be angry…for being alone…for not having someone…for just losing someone… or just because you want to be angry. Or you can try be grateful for the things you DO have and explore a positive outlook for what may lie ahead.
Friends? Family? A roof over your head? Cable TV? A smart phone? Warm boots? The ability to buy yourself a nice dinner, a massage or even a movie ticket?
To help set a positive tone, here are my V-Day DONT’S:
- Don’t buy and eat a container of ice cream, it won’t make you feel better in in the long run.
- Don’t watch romantic comedies; instead check out the Blue Planet documentaries to help you truly appreciate the amazing, beautiful world around us.
- Stay off social media, for this day and for a few days after. No reason to tease yourself with ‘staged photos’ of love and candy.
- Stay away from all dating sites/apps– now is not the time for desperation to wear down your standards.
Instead, here are some great ways to spend your day:
- Volunteer– nothing will make you feel better than doing something for someone else
- Galentines Day– grab some gals and celebrate your friendship
- Bubble bath and wine- the key is lots of bubbles!
- Go to dinner anyway– sit at the bar and order dessert first (followed by something healthy)
- Go to a work out class– get your blood pumping to help get any aggression out
- Clean out a closet/drawer/pantry– it’s a great way to feel lighter and you’ve probably been meaning to do it anyway
- Go to the spa– not for your nails, make up or hair. This is the time to get a facial or a massage; both of these are great for your body…plus, who wants to really go out after either of these?
So how will you get through Valentines day as a single person? However it is, always remember:
you have a choice in how you want to feel and how to approach life.
*America’s Families and Living Arrangements, 20160