How many times have you needed to throw together an appetizer with no warning?
It happens to me more often than I care to admit; especially around the holidays.
I created this as part of a presentation for the Cap Strat Women’s Forum Holiday Soiree. (the Women’s Forum is an amazing organization that is focused on elevating and lifting up female colleagues.) This platter, or board, is based on items that can be stored away in the pantry, fridge or freezer for months just waiting for you to need a quick, fun meal. It comes together is less than 10 minutes…or as long as it takes you to open a few jars.
What elevates this basic appetizer platter is the Spiced Oil. Roasting spice seeds and steeping them in olive oils adds a whole dimension of flavor and texture. It’s addictively delicious
Pantry Appetizer Board / Dinner Platter
- Jar of roasted red peppers
- Jar of olives
- Artichoke hearts
- Various nuts and seeds
- Can of chickpeas
- Additional pantry ingredients ideas
- sun dried tomatoes, sardines
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Spice seeds- about a tsp of each, use what you have:
- try cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, red pepper seeds
- Lemon slices & garlic
- Block of feta cheese
- Smoked salmon (if vegan, choose a nut loaf instead)
Dry roast the spice seeds in a small to medium fry pan over low heat. Add in a few glugs of olive oil and let simmer on low. Add in garlic slices and lemon slices. Turn off heat.
Choose a large, pretty platter as the base. Place the feta cheese block in the middle of one side of the platter and the smoked salmon on the other.
Slice the red peppers into strips, arrange in a pile on one section of the platter. Drain the chickpeas and add to the platter. Add in any other ingredients you are using.
Scatter the olives, nuts/seeds and drizzle the whole platter with the warm, spiced oil.
Add a few pretty forks or tongs. Enjoy!
- Both the feta block and the smoked salmon can be placed in the freezer, but they also each last quite a long time in the refrigerator.
- Try to look for ingredients packed in water or olive oil.