I’m asked all the time about my morning routine. Today, I’m giving you my favorite digestive boosting, alkaline setting, inflammation fighting lemon elixir. It’s my total GO JUICE!
I seriously feel a better boost from this than I do from coffee. Sure you could just do lemon in water, but kick your morning up a bunch of notches with this delightful shot. Tip- I use this in place of lemon in my dressings, soup and smoothies too!
Why is this elixir so good for you? It’s immune boosting, digestive enhancing and nutrient dense! Let’s break down the ingredients:
TURMERIC– you may know this for it anti-inflammatory properties, but it’s also powerful help for our bile and mucous membranes:
- Digestive bitter and a carminative (carminative is a fancy word for ‘prevents gas’)
- Stimulates bile production in the liver, improving the body’s ability to digest fats
- Anti-inflammatory to the mucous membranes that coat the stomach and intestines
- Decreases congestion and inflammation from stagnant mucous membranes
GINGER – Another power food to fight inflammation, but it calms, soothes and neutralizes too:
- Neutralizes toxins in the digestive system
- Aids in digestion, absorption and assimilation of food
- Alleviates the pain from a sore throat, the symptoms of a cold, congestion, and sinus problems
- Calms nausea from motion, a flu virus, pregnancy, or bad food
- Soothes headaches
LEMONS – tones the liver and cleanses the cells, but by adding the peel we get more Vitamin C, folate, beta-carotene, calcium, magnesium, potassium… more of all the good stuff.
- Lemon juice aids in fighting bacterial infection
- Enhances production of our digestive juices
- Lemon is an inexpensive, easily available liver tonic
- Lemon juice is alkalizing in the body
- A rich source of vitamin C
PINK SALT, APPLE CIDER VINEGAR (ACV) AND Extra Virgin OLIVE OIL (EVOO)- All have their place in a healthy diet. The ACV (and the lemon) are the most common natural remedies for kidney stones. Himalayan pink salt is the healthiest salt in the world providing 84 trace minerals the body needs to function optimally. The EVOO protects the brain from oxidative stress and keeps our skin and joints lubricated. Black pepper helps activate the curcumin, making it more bioavailable for the body.
My incredibly talented and insightful friend Beth Finnigan, of BWell with Beth, created the base of this recipe and I’m forever thankful for her sharing it. Blend it, blend it again, store in the fridge and enjoy a couple shots in the morning. You’ll thank both of us for this!
1 whole organic lemon, washed, ends removed and quartered
1 1/2 ” knob of fresh ginger root
1 1/2 ” knob of fresh turmeric root or ½ tsp turmeric powder
2 T organic unfiltered, unrefined olive oil
2 T Braggs apple cider vinegar
16 oz filtered water
1 tsp good quality sea salt
a turn or two of fresh black pepper
Blend everything together for 2 minutes. Strain if desired (but don’t, just drink it all!)
Start every morning with 2-4 ounces, straight up or diluted in water.
Note: Have a cold or flu? Beth says to use this as an amazing elixier to help you prevent or shorten the duration!!0